What are some examples of Indigenous Guardian training programs?
There are now a number of examples of comprehensive training programs that have been developed by Indigenous communities and educational institutions. Many are specifically for Indigenous Guardians and address many of the core skill areas.
Some of these trainings are more focused on technical training for guardians themselves like the Stewardship Technicians Training Program curriculum co-designed by Coastal First Nations-Great Bear Initiative, the Nanwakolas Council and Vancouver Island University. See the story 'Building Knowledge, Skills and Family through Stewardship Technicians Training on BC’s Coast'.
Others are more focused on training Indigenous Guardian managers such as the pilot program that was delivered at Dechinta Bush University in the Northwest Territories.
Others focus on environmental monitoring such as the BEAHR training through Eco-Canada. The Mikisew Cree First Nation are developing an innovative approach to environmental monitoring training that is described in the story 'The Best of Both Worlds: Pairing Indigenous Knowledge and Western Science'.
Here are some training programs that have been identified by guardian programs across Canada.
- BEAHR - Environmental Training for Aboriginal Communities
- Centre for Indigenous Environmental Resources (CIER) Workshops
- Coastal First Nations/Vancouver Island University – Stewardship Technicians Training Program Website and Brochure
- Nanwakolas Council/Vancouver Island University – Stewardship Technicians Training Program
- Gorsebrook Research Institute at Saint Mary's University: Innu Guardian training program
- Vancouver Island University Environmental Technician Certificate Program for Aboriginal communities
- Ecotrust Canada Fisheries Observer Training
- Canadian Aquatic Biomonitoring Network (CABIN) program and protocols, training and certification
- Arctic Response training programs (certificates, safety, survival etc.)
- Lakeland College - environmental management degrees (managerial and senior jobs)
Do you know about a great training program for Indigenous Guardians? If so, please share with us so it can be added to this list.