Typical Budget Categories for an Indigenous Guardian Program
WAGES AND CONTRACTS
- Wages and benefits - Program manager, guardians, seasonal positions, interns, etc.
- Contracts - Short-term contracts for guardians, technicians, professional services, other contract services (i.e. biologist, lab work, data storage, etc.)
- Required Certifications - First aid, radio operator, swift water rescue, etc.
- Additional Training - Monitoring, conflict resolution, communications, etc.
EQUIPMENT AND SUPPLIES
- Safety equipment -Radios, sat phone/InReach, first aid kit, life jackets, firearms, etc.
- Field equipment -GPS, tablets, sampling equipment, digital camera, binoculars, etc.
- Equipment storage - Rental lockers, storage units, moorage, shed, etc.
- Program identification - Uniforms, logo, decals, flags, badges, business cards, etc.
TRANSPORTATION AND TRAVEL
- Capital equipment - Purchase or lease of boats, trucks, skidoos, etc.
- Fuel - Gas, diesel, propane, etc.
- Transportation related - Transportation costs, helicopter/flight time, rental fees, etc.
- Repairs and maintenance - Vehicle repairs, annual maintenance
- Travel expenses - Travel/transport, food, lodging for meetings, overnight patrols etc.
OFFICE AND GENERAL
- Office related - Rent, utilities, office furnishings, phones, computers, etc.
- Insurance coverage - For equipment, vehicles, liability, etc.
- Contingency funds - Unexpected expenses (replacement equipment, repairs, emergencies, etc.)
- Community outreach - Community meetings and events, education materials, newsletters, web, etc.
- Honoraria - For elder or community advisor involvement