Guardian programs can play a meaningful role in helping youth to:
- Gain practical experience on the lands and waters
- Build skills
- Connect with their culture and community
Through these hands-on experiences, youth often feel an increased sense of belonging, ability, pride, and cultural connection. For this reason, Indigenous Guardian programs in communities across Canada are focusing efforts on engaging children and youth in guardian programs and other on-the-land activities.
Explore this section to learn:
- The benefits of engaging youth.
- Ways to engage youth.
- Some examples of youth engagement programs.
- Tools to help build and grow youth engagement programs.
- Potential funding sources for youth engagement programs.
You can access a comprehensive overview of the information and resources offered in this chapter here.