Ideas for Developing a Budget
- Staff wages and benefits can be fairly easy to estimate. Compare the guardian program positions (whether field staff or manager) to similar programs managed by your organization.
- If you know you’ll need to rely on contractors or contracted services, request quotes from potential individuals and companies so you know what fees or rates will look like.
- Research the pros and cons of purchasing, leasing or renting field, safety or other equipment. Keep in mind, you may also be able to share equipment with other programs.
- Things like fuel estimates can be worked out by calculating the number of trips/patrols you expect to run, distance covered, and fuel consumption/km traveled.
- Remember to budget in a buffer. It’s important to anticipate the unexpected and have contingency funds available if you need them.